Saturday 13 May 2017

Multiplication and Division

Hi everyone, I hope every Motherly person has enjoyed a lovely day with family.  I loved hearing from my children and grandchildren, and Rick and I had a beautiful Mothers Day lunch at Paulina's in Clyde.
This week we begin to work on multiplication and division.  There are lots of great activities on Studyladder and I recommend making a habit of working on these.  Another really good website is http://www.helpingwithmath.com look for multiplication and division.  There are charts for the times tables and although multiplication is commutative i.e. it doesn't matter which way around you say it, the answer is the same 3x5 is the same as 5x3, I would prefer to use the charts that list 1x5=5 2x5=10 3x5=15 because that fits best with the idea of 1 lot of 5, 2 lots of 5, 3 lots of 5.  Children begin to understand multiplication through repeated addition, before they become aware that multiplication is binary, involving two numbers.  They may see it as 5+5+5 rather than 3x5.
Thanks, Rosalie.


No comments:

Post a Comment