Tuesday 5 February 2019

2019 Week 1 Term 1

I hope you have all had the opportunity to spend time with families over this holiday break. I certainly have, with 3 family weddings and a trip to Auckland to see Aladdin.
We are very lucky in Room 3 as we now have air conditioning installed. Wow what a difference this has made, although I didn't get into the classroom to get sorted until Friday.

We will all be finding our way this week as we settle into a new area of the school and get to know each other. I am very excited about teaching back in Year 1&2 and learning all about Action Stations.

We have 21 children in our room, with some having been at school only a very short time to some children who I am sure will enjoy being awesome leaders, helping me and their newer classmates.

This week I will send home books from our library corner for you to read to your child while I establish where your child's reading level is, at the beginning of the year. Please record these books in your child's reading log. Each morning I expect children to bring their reading folders into the classroom and put them into the yellow box inside the classroom door. Please support your child to do this for themselves each morning as we encourage their independence. Routines such as this will be a focus as we set up our learning environment over the early weeks.

Upcoming dates:
Wednesday 6th Feb: Waitangi Day - informal gathering of school families at Pioneer Park 11-1. Sports gear will be there for games, Thank you Loretta for being available to take this down.

Tuesday 12th Feb: Meet the Teacher Evening - from 5:30. Check the school newsletter for more information.

Tuesday 19th  Feb: School Swimming - all classes will have 1 session at the pool prior to the swimming sports.

Sunday 24th Feb: Parish Picnic & School Mass - 10am Pioneer Park

Thursday 28th Feb: School Swimming Sports 9am - 12. (Junior school will have their races in the therapeutic pool 10 - 11am) If you are able to assist with timekeeping for the sports please let me know. Note: the events in the main pool stop while the junior sports are run, so you will be able to watch your children.

Walk & Wheel Week - March 4th - 8th

March 21st: School Triathlon

Junior School Camp - will be this term with the date yet to be confirmed. This is a 1 night sleepover here in Alexandra - normally early March.

Looking forward to getting to know you all over the next couple of weeks.

Chris
chrisbeilby@stgerards.school.nz


Oh no - sorry all. I was just finished this as my Australian visitors arrived and clearly I didn't push publish. My apologies.

This year another challenge to me will be "technology" as I learn to use 'seesaw' to share with you what your children are learning at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment